Install Simple forum Install Simple forum
 RegisterRegister ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in
setup run delay
Sysifos

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:31 pm

Congratulations for the wonderfully easy software!
I have created an installation wizard using IS for my project. The source files are 1.9GB (1700 files) and the compressed setup file is 1.16GB.

My problem is that when running the setup it seems to take too long to load, and to be more specific it needs around a minute to start (to be accurate until I get a user control notification pop-up in Win7). After that, it runs smoothly.
My software will be distributed on DVDs, and I'm afraid that if the delay is 1' when running from hard disc, then running from DVD it will be an unacceptable delay, making the inexperienced users run the setup again and again, causing more problems and delays...

I've been using WinRar self-extracting in my demo versions and I must say that once I double-clicked for the exe to run, it started almost immediately (within 2-3 seconds).

Do you have any idea how to fix this?
Sysifos

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:49 pm

Well, I have tried everything, but it seems I can't get it to load any faster.
The impression I have is that when running the setup.exe, it silently verifies its content before showing the setup dialog window.

My suggestion would be:
Give the option to create a minimal setup.exe and a secondary compressed file (cab or something) to keep the resources
OR
Make the setup.exe NOT to "verify" its contents upon loading (you could do it when extracting)

// By the way, when it finally opens, the extraction time is normal...
Vladislav Biryukov
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:07 pm

Hello

Setup check integrity of files only in installation process.
In a Windows XP Setup file (2 GBytes) started from DVD within 1-2 seconds.

In Windows 7 and newer - Explorer trying to find/verify the code signing certificate on the setup executable before launching it. As the file is large, it reads the entire file at least once before it even tries to run it.

The solution to this is to use the external data files. But InstallSimple has not this feature. Therefore the problem yet is not decided.

Regards,
Vladislav Biryukov
Sysifos

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:45 pm

Vladislav Biryukov wrote:
Hello

Setup check integrity of files only in installation process.
In a Windows XP Setup file (2 GBytes) started from DVD within 1-2 seconds.

In Windows 7 and newer - Explorer trying to find/verify the code signing certificate on the setup executable before launching it. As the file is large, it reads the entire file at least once before it even tries to run it.

The solution to this is to use the external data files. But InstallSimple has not this feature. Therefore the problem yet is not decided.

Regards,
Vladislav Biryukov

So it's a Win 7 issue... Since Win XP are not officially supported, I do not officially support it either (although my software works properly on XP).
I guess that you should give the option to pack the resource files in external files..

Looking forward to the updated version!
Keep up the good work!!!
Jump to: